Anybody else been feeling a little stressed lately? Take a “nature pill!” Given current events, the phrase “a little stressed” may be the understatement of the year, but the good news is that stress relief is all around us, especially here in Cherry Hills Village.
Multiple studies have been published recently documenting the benefits of 10, 20 minutes in a natural space. That space could be a park, a garden, or an open space. The key takeaway from several studies is that 10-30 minutes spent walking or sitting in a natural setting is enough to significantly lower cortisol (the stress hormone) levels in our bodies. Note that these benefits are really only detectable if we are not paying attention to something else, like a phone or stressful conversation while in nature.
So if you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed, put your phone on silent (or leave it at home), pause the work conversations for later, and take a 20-minute mental health break to enjoy nature; sit under a tree, go for a walk around a park or even just watch the bees in your garden.
Play Nature Tag
- Find a spot in nature—if you have one nearby—and go to it.
- Breathe deeply. Let your mind wander. Press pause.
- Snap a pic of your nature moment—selfie or non.
- Bonus points: bring a notebook and share a sketch, thought or doodle. (Did you know that doodling is proven to also bring benefits? It’s true!)
- Post your pic on social media with hashtags #